You may have seen the bulletin from DHS, dated October 17, that announced the release of the DWRS component values that go into effect on January 1, 2024.
DHS will include the new component values in the December updates of the MnCHOICES Support Plan and revised MnCHOICES applications. These systems will start using the new values on a rolling basis as service authorizations change or renew.
As background, the 2023 Legislature required DHS to update some cost factors in the Disability Waiver Rate System (DWRS), effective January 1, 2024 or upon federal approval*. See Minn. Stat. §256B.4914, subd. 5. The component value changes for services include:
- Community residential services and family residential services: Updates to asleep wage.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) and Consumer Price Index (CPI) inflationary adjustments to all DWRS framework services (except customized living, 24-hour customized living and adult day services bath)*
- Updates to the staff base wage index and supervisor wage, from BLS data.
- Updates to components subject to CPI changes.
- Increasing the competitive workforce factor to 6.7%.
- Converting the 15-minute unit of respite from a framework rate to a market rate.
*The BLS and CPI inflationary adjustments must be approved by CMS. DHS will communicate when these decisions are made.
DHS will send out more information and the specific dates for component value updates as they approach.
And remember, ARRM members can access unlocked DWRS frameworks with the 2024 rate values incorporated for modeling here, as a member benefit. Please do not share with anyone outside your organization.
-Ken Bence, Director of Research, Analysis and Policy