Info & Events
@BestLifeMN | BestLifeAlliance | Pinterest | YouTube
ARRM is an active member of the Best Life Alliance, formerly known as The 5% Campaign. The Best Life Alliance is a nonpartisan coalition of Minnesota service providers, caregivers, self-advocates, family members, and community partners advocating for Home & Community-Based Services. We are part of a state-wide movement toward fully person-centered and community-integrated services for people with disabilities and older adults.
The alliance formed in 2014 and maintains that life in the community is the first and best option for people with disabilities and older Minnesotans, as well as their families, workers and our state as a whole. The lives that many people with disabilities and older adults build for themselves depend on state funding. Home & Community-Based Services increase independence and allow people to be active participants in their communities. Services foster skill development, provide job coaching, ensure health and safety, allow people to volunteer, and much more.
People with disabilities, older adults, caregivers, more than 130 organizations, family members, and advocates throughout Minnesota are a part of this major statewide campaign.
After just ten short weeks, the 2016 legislative session ended on May 22, 2016. While a rate increase for Home & Community-Based Services was not included in the final budget agreement between legislators and Governor Dayton, we are proud of the great work done by thousands of supporters. Together, over the past year, thousands of supporters rallied loudly, met with policymakers at the Capitol, hosted town halls and site visits, and attracted media to shine a bright light on the critical need for funding to support people with disabilities, older adults and caregivers across Minnesota. Our legislation for a 5% rate increase in 2016 was co-authored by 116 legislators.
Our work is not done. We are not going away. Leaders within the Best Life Alliance are developing new strategies and legislation for next session. The Best Life Alliance supports a rate increase for Home & Community-Based Service in 2017 to address Minnesota’s caregiver and Direct Support Professionals workforce shortage. It will ensure better compensation for direct care workers, and support more stable, quality services that allow people with disabilities and older adults to live as independently as possible in the community.
5 Reasons to Support the Best Life Alliance
1. Minnesotans believe people with disabilities and older adults should live in and contribute to their communities. Community-based services provide greater opportunity to build strong connections with neighbors and the community. A 5% rate increase supports this belief.
2. Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) and Caregivers support your family; shouldn't they be able to support their own?
3. A 5% increase will help to recruit and retain consistent staff; this is crucial to quality care. Low wages lead to higher staff turnover, creating more stress, less stability and lower quality care.
4. DSPs and caregivers who support people with disabilities and older Minnesotans have demanding, highly-skilled jobs. A 5% increase shows we value these employees and their commitment to this field.
5. Community-based services are some of the largest employers in rural Minnesota. A 5% rate increase will support dedicated staff who will put dollars to work in their local communities.
Download Resources about The Best Life Alliance
Why 5% Can't Wait- messages and story template to give to legislators
Best Life Alliance Fact Sheet
2016 Legislation Fact Sheet
Best Life Alliance Messages
Telling Your Story: Messages for Self-Advocates, Family Members and Staff
2016 Best Life Alliance Bill
Legislators often host town hall forums within their districts. View our calendar of upcoming legislator events to find out if there is an event near you, then tell them why Home & Community-Based Services matter to you!
Learn More About the Best Life Alliance
Ways to get Involved
View News & Media Coverage